Greetings!

What's the Matter? Didn't you have anyone in pink pumps fix your computer before?

Monday, August 16, 2010

10 Myths People Believe About Computers.

  1. Hardware is becoming obsolete the minute you take it home. Actually, it's before you take it home. Processor generations are in development two years before they are released. Whatever you bring home is on the way out. Still you have to buy a computer. 
  2. If I have virus and spyware protection I won't get infected. They don't prevent infection. They just detect and remove it. Browsing habits and email habits are what get you infected. Your attitude towards those need to be adjusted to not get infected.
  3. If I have a power strip I am protected against electrical surges. Power strips don't provide protection against surges; only surge protectors with guaranteed dollar amounts do.
  4. If I unplug all my electrical equipment during a lightning storm I am safe. Electricity can still get in thru the cable and zap everything.
  5. I need an internet security suite.  Most of them are bloatware. They slow down your computer too much, cost too much, and block things you need.
  6. I need Microsoft Office. Not everyone needs it. Try to live without it first: http://www.openoffice.org/
  7. It's ok to clean my LCD with glass cleaner. Pay for the wipes. Glass cleaner will ruin it.
  8. My computer should last more than 6 years. EOL=end of life. After 6 years, replace it; it's at EOL.
  9. Inkjet printers are cheaper than laser printers. Sure the initial cost of an inkjet printer is less, but you have to look at total cost of operation. Inkjet cartridges dry out and they are expensive. Evaluate your needs and printing habits before you buy a printer.
  10. I don't need to do anything to the hardware unless it fails. You need to keep the power supply fan free of dust.  The whole computer needs to be kept clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment