Greetings!

What's the Matter? Didn't you have anyone in pink pumps fix your computer before?

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Choosing a Laptop Bag

I was surprised to find there is very little on this subject on the web. So here's my thoughts and experience of 18 years of lugging around laptops on airlines, trains, buses, and cars.
  • Never use a regular tote bag to transport your laptop. Maybe you have been lucky so far, but your hardware investment will go down the drain very quickly with one hard, unprotected knock. Please don't chance it.
  • Buy a quality case. I always buy Targus cases. They are padded well and come with a killer warranty. Keep your warranty information and receipt in a safe place.
  • Slingback and backpack cases are popular with women because they are stylish. Ok, this is the type I have, I admit it. It came in really handy on my last trip when I had to arrive at the gate for my next flight ten minutes before we landed. My flight was delayed and I was able to put my computer on my back and half run to my gate in another terminal (of course).
  • Hard cases offer more protection than soft cases, but they add to the weight you are carrying around. These are long lasting and are popular with commuters who don't have other peripherals to carry around; they hold the laptop and not much more.
  • The rolling laptop bag has really gained in popularity, especially with people who are on the go locally, but not traveling. Weight isn't a big problem with these because you are rolling around the weight. If you have a heavy laptop you might want to consider one.
  • No laptop case provides complete protection against abuse. Never check your laptop bag. When packing this bag don't overstuff it especially if you are going on a small commuter flight with limited overhead room. The airline will ask you to check your bag and you will end up hand carrying your computer while its bag goes in the belly of the plane.
  • Add identification to whichever laptop case you buy. Make sure your contact phone number stays updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment