Greetings!

What's the Matter? Didn't you have anyone in pink pumps fix your computer before?

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Flash drives are the new floppy disk.

Ever wonder why hard disks are called hard disks? Those of you who are new to computers probably have never used a floppy disk. Older computers may still have a 3.5" floppy drive, but really the disks aren't floppy. When I first started studying computer science, floppy disks were floppy! They were 5.25" and the plastic disks were in a lightweight cardboard. They often failed and were easy to damage being they were so floppy. Prior to the 5.25" floppy, 8" floppy was the standard. That was before I got involved into computers so I've never used one. Nowadays, we are storage piggies. At least I am. That's why I bought this: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD10EARS. I love this drive, even though my photos, music, and data files don't even approach half the capacity.

Most people only need a flash drive for storage. This is my new work flash drive: Corsair Flash Voyager 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive CMFUSB2.0-16GB. It stood up to the durability test for my office mate, so I'm sure it'll be sufficient for me as well. What I already like about it is they didn't put anything extra on it. I don't like extra flash drive utility programs. I just want something easy to use and this is.

Professional people who don't carry a laptop with them wherever they go need a flash drive to store their important documents on. Even if you do store your documents on your laptop and bring it with you wherever you go, you still need a flash drive. What if your laptop is stolen or you break it? Your files need to be backed up. Backing them up to a flash is a green way to do it and, at the risk of sounding oink  oink oink, you have more storage capacity on a flash than you do on a cd. It's financially smart too because you don't have to keep buying cds (or dvds).

Grandparents: you can store lots of photos of your grandchildren on your flash drive. ;)

If you don't have a flash drive, buy one! Even they have multipacks of flash drives at Costco/BJs so you can buy one for everyone in your family. Backup your files today!

No comments:

Post a Comment